Friday, October 8, 2010

Biscotti

Biscotti
My "guinea pig" has been hankering for some biscotti lately.  After looking in all the local supermarkets and not finding any, I suggested we make our own one day.  We found 3 promising recipes to play with.

The other day I decided to bake the first batch of biscotti as a surprise.  I chose the low fat recipe to try first.  I didn't expect it to come out anywhere near as good as it did.  Let's face it, low fat usually equates to something along the lines of not good.

Based on user comments, I was a bit worried about the dough being too sticky for me to handle.  I was surprised when it wasn't a big problem for me. (Just make sure that there's plenty of flour on your hands and the dough won't stick!)  I wrapped up the dough in plastic wrap to make it easier to form the log and then simply unrolled it unto the baking sheet.

I decided to not cut the biscotti on the diagonal in the hopes of keeping them more uniform.  I also made them about twice as thick as what was called for in the recipe.  It took me the time specified to cook them through. The recipe yielded 26 cookies as made instead of the 36 stated.

Overall, my first attempt at biscotti came out tasting pretty good, even though it was low-fat.  The "guinea pig" was very happy with the outcome. Next time I make this recipe I'm going to add a bit more of the extracts, use splenda instead of sugar to make it even more diet friendly, and make the log longer and flatter for a more bite-size experience.

1 comment:

  1. I just ate the last one I brought to work with me... can't wait to have some more when I get home. I give this one 4 "wheeks".

    ReplyDelete