Thursday, November 1, 2012

Roasted Figs

Roasted Figs
 I can't remember if I've ever had figs in my life before now.  I've had fig newtons, but that's not the same thing.  I came upon them in the store while shopping for other food and decided that it was time to give figs a shot.

First impression was definitely wanting.  The Guinea Pig refused to try it until I did.  I guess the best way to describe their taste is interesting.  Not necessarily in a bad way, but definitely unusual.

So now I have these figs sitting on my counter and I can't see myself wanting to eat one again.  What am I to do?  Roast them like I would apples and hope that turns out better than eating them raw.  Figs get cup up and go into ramekins.  There they are covered in cinnamon, cardamom, and all spice, butter, and honey and go into the oven to bake.

For the next half hour I sit wondering how they would turn out and if I just wasted my time.  Turns out they came out not too bad at all.  I think I needed just a bit more honey in the mixture, but overall I improved our fig experience and we demolished them while they were still bubbling hot.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this nice dessert. Definitely wasn't a newton, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete