Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Carrot Cake Cookies

Carrot Cake Cookies
While browsing through recipes, I came upon an Inside-Out Carrot Cake Cookies one that intrigued me.  Once that happens I have to make it!

The one or two times in my life that I've eaten carrot cake I've enjoyed it.  All the ingredients seemed like something that I like or even love on their own.  Even more reason to try it out.

I started with getting the walnuts out of their shells, which is something I haven't done in over a decade.  Luckily I had the perfect tool for that job, one that every kitchen needs...a hammer!  Figured out the best way, for me anyway, for opening the shells was to hit the pointy end.

The only thing I did different from the recipe this time was to fold all the ingredients into the egg mixture after beating it with a blender.  I was afraid to get all the stuff get shredded, because I wanted to keep them as much intact as possible.  The method worked out pretty well.

I ended up with 24 individual cookies, 12 per sheet.  While looking over the recipe, I figured that the cream cheese filling was unnecessary for me, so I decided to skip it and eat just the cookies, thinking that they would be tasty enough on their own and would make the cookies a bit "healthier."

The cookies turned out light, fluffy, and cake-like.  After eating a few just the way they were, I became curious to taste them with the filling.  This is not to say that they weren't delicious without the filling, but I had extra cream cheese from the weekend and wanted to taste the cookies both ways.  I mixed up a bit of the filling, without bothering to measure the honey or the cream cheese, which made enough for half the cookies.

The filling definitely added another dimension to the cookies, a very tasty dimension, but I'm still torn of which way I prefer to eat them.  I guess I'll just have to keep eating them both ways to find out.

2 comments: