Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pasta Bolognese

Pasta Bolognese
Finding a recipe that uses four kinds of meat, one of them being bacon, is enough reason to try making it.  A classic Italian name like bolognese, made me even more interested in it.  Good thing I didn't realize it wasn't a traditional bolognese before I made it.  Otherwise I may have decided to look for another one.

I decided to go with bacon over pancetta.  One reason being that I didn't feel like trying to find pancetta in my local markets.  Another, that I love bacon!  For the dry wine, I went with a Yellowtail Cabernet-Merlot mix.  Mini fusili was my choice for pasta.  I went with an aged parmesan rather than the called for parmisiano-reggiano.

I didn't feel the need to cook the bacon in oil as bacon releases enough of its own fat.  I found that the secret to finely chopping bacon is a sharp knife.  I've tried freezing in the past but it didn't work.  The sauce took longer than 30 minutes specified to get done.  It was a lot closer to an hour an a half or even a bit longer.

Recipe turned out pretty good and has encouraged me to one day search out a recipe for  "true" pasta bolognese.  My guinea pig is now complaining of being "stuffed with overly delicious foods," so I guess he approves of this one.

1 comment:

  1. Full... oh so full... going to burst, but couldn't be happier. The bolognese was perfect. No one meat over powered the others,and made a delightful tasting experience. Now to make a comment on delicous carrot cake cookie... yum

    ReplyDelete