Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Asian" Shepherd's Pie

"Asian" Shepherd's Pie
We stopped by a local Irish restaurant this weekend that we've been meaning to go to for over a year now.  The Guinea Pig ordered a helping of shepherd's pie off the menu and enjoyed it.  When we got home, he had a craving for more, leaving it up to me to satisfy his belly.

Luckily, we had almost all the ingredients at home.  As we were out that day, we kept meaning to pick up the one missing ingredient, Worcester sauce, but didn't.  As neither of us wanted to forage out in the rain again, I came up with the idea of using soy sauce instead and call it Asian Shepherd's Pie.  The Guinea Pig was intrigued enough by the idea to let me try.

I used a mix of lamb, beef, and pork for my meat.  Added to it finely diced and sautéed onions and carrots as well as previously frozen peas and plenty of garlic.  For flavoring, I used a mixture of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and ketchup.  Topped it all off with mashed potatoes and in to the oven it went.  After about 40 minutes, the Guinea Pig was enjoying himself multiple helpings.

1 comment:

  1. That i did, and still do! Thats some good pie, them asian shepherds know how to make a meal. ;-) Seriously though, this came out wonderfully, sweet yet saviourly (?). Looking forward to next time this dish and I meet.

    ReplyDelete