Monday, September 10, 2012

Spaghetti Squash with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms

Spaghetti Squash with Caramelized
Onions and Mushrooms
For a while now I've been seeing spaghetti squash all over the internet.  Of course, that meant that I had to try this gourd out for myself.

I baked the squash and scraped it out with a fork, but the flesh came out in chopped pieces.  Not at all like the long strands that I was seeing in pictures.  I found out later that I scraped the squash out all wrong.  You're supposed to do it crosswise, I did it lengthwise.  No wonder I ended up with something resembling vermicelli more than spaghetti.  Good thing looks didn't affect the taste of the dish.

As I was looking at different recipes online, a lot of people seemed to think that the squash was rather tasteless on its own and required lots of help from a flavorful sauce or the like.  I opted for a tried and true mushroom and onion addition.  I made sure to season it on the heavy side to account for the bland-ness of the squash.  Unfortunately, it turned out that the squash had plenty of flavor all of its own.  Next time, I am definitely going to go easier on the seasoning.

I was pretty impressed by the spaghetti squash and would definitely try my hand at it again.  At one point, I'd like to try to make a baked dish using the spaghetti squash.  Maybe a baked "pasta" with meat sauce is in the future.  Although, The Guinea Pig might kill me for that one.  He's been dying for a pasta dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment