Monday, September 3, 2012

Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup

Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
It feels like fall outdoors.  That means it's time for hearty soups.  I wanted a smooth and creamy soup while at the same time trying something new.  I settled on seeing what a carrot and sweet potato soup would taste like.  I wasn't disappointed.

I came up with a relatively simple blend of carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, chicken stock, water and salt and pepper for seasoning.  The result was tasty and satisfying.

I was going to use water for the soup, the way I usually try to keep vegetarian soups vegetarian, but something nudged me in the chicken stock direction.  I'm not sure if it were a good nudge or not.  The flavor wasn't very noticeable.  Although, there is something to be said for subtlety.

While at the market, I picked up a loaf of sourdough.  I was going to just slice it up and serve with the soup, but in a stroke of inspiration, I made croutons instead.  I'm glad I did!  The croutons provided a much needed crunch and texture to the soup.

As I was finishing up the seasoning, The Guinea Pig asked me why I chose to use black pepper instead of white pepper.  The funny thing is, I was just thinking to myself that the soup would go well with either.  I guess I just wasn't feeling like it at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment