Friday, August 16, 2013

Baked Scotch Eggs

Baked Scotch Eggs
Once in a while I do something totally stupid.  I attempt making a dish that I've never eaten, simply because I would like to taste it.  This time around the focus was a scotch egg.

Having never eaten one, I didn't realize that it was supposed to be deep fried.  I looked at a few recipes for ingredients, but never bothered to look at the directions.  When the realization hit, I started looking for alternatives.  None were too pleasing.  Pretty much every source I came upon told me that my experiment would not turn out so good and the meat would split away from the egg.  I decided I had to try anyway.

I strayed pretty far from most recipes I saw.  Instead of the pork sausage, I used regular ground pork and spiced it up with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and lots of garlic.  Instead of coating the meat wrapped eggs in raw egg and bread crumbs, I added it to the meat mixture as well.  That was my secret weapon.

I thought that maybe the reason why the meat was splitting away was it's lack of a binder.  Once the fat got cooked off, there was nothing left holding it together.  I was hoping my instinct was right and would pay off.

I watched the eggs bake cautiously, like a hawk watches its prey.  Expecting the meat to split away from the egg inside every time I turned the oven light on, but it never happened.  When I took the cooked eggs out of the oven, not one was affected.  All came out perfectly wrapped in a meat blanket.

As to the taste of the dish, it was great!  The Guinea Pig is already coming up with other uses for the pork mixture, such as pork burgers.

1 comment: