Monday, August 20, 2012

Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
A local market had Portabella mushroom caps on sale.  Of course, I couldn't resist picking them up!  What's the first dish that came to my mind to make?  Stuffed mushrooms.  That got me thinking on what to stuff it with.

Initially I was going to go with a quinoa mix of some sort.  I didn't get too far with that train of thought.  Instead, I went in a totally different direction.  One of my family favorite dishes is mashed potatoes with sauteed mushrooms.  Usually I serve the mashed potatoes drowning in mushrooms.  I decided I would put a spin on the dish and stuff the Portabella mushroom caps with mashed potatoes.

I feared that the dish would be bland and decided to add pepper, garlic and green onions to my grandmother's standard mashed potato recipe.  I also seasoned the mushrooms with generous amounts of salt and pepper while I pre-baked them.  The flavor was definitely there still the mushrooms supported it.  Juicy and flavorful.  This dish came out to be a nice twist on an old family staple.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this dish. The portabella caps were really juicy and the potatoes really carried the flavor really well.

    ReplyDelete